Monday 29 October 2012

learning to share

With 3 kids so close in age learning to share is a daily battle. I cannot tell you how many times a day I say 'you've got to share with your brother/sister/friend' . . .If I had a dollar for every time I'd be a bloody millionaire!

We took the kids to a Halloween Fair on Sunday afternoon and they had a ball. Pancakes, ice cream, cakes, jumping castles, spinning tea cups, flying cars, a giant slide and of course show bags of useless cheap imported crap that's all broken within 48 hours of purchase. The imitation Dora hand bag has caused so many domestics between the 2 and 3 year old, and dont get me started on the fake Strawberry Shortcake hat that's now in two pieces and thus unwearable. Argh! Overpriced tat that we HAD to have! Every time they go for a sleep I put a few more small pieces in the bin and so far, I've gotten away with it every time.

According to a few 'raising children' articles I've read, kids don't really grasp the concept of sharing until 4 so I should probably accept that I'll be prattlling on about sharing for the forseeable future. Lord help me.

Today marks a week since my Mum moved in with us. She's staying with us while her house sells and her new place is built. The kids love having Nanny here, and me, well I'm getting used to it. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mum but we are very similar and therefore clash. Turns out its not just my kids that need to learn to share. Turns out I need to learn to share too... my space, my kids, my fridge, my chocolate - not in any particular order. Just before I had Little Miss I bought a chocolate sundae from maccas and put it in my freezer, ready for my arrival home from hospital. I was being a good girl and obeying the 'thou shall not eat soft serve when pregnant' rule. And ..... my Mum ate it. Seriously. If she was a friend I think I would have ended our friendship on the spot. Totally seriously! I was dreaming about that sundae and it was gone. I was so disappointed. Yes we will survive living together, there will be moments I'd dare say but we will survive.

Typically I am not a good sharer. A few years back I had a couple of friends stay with us when they first moved to Australia. Used tea bags were left on the kitchen bench, mere steps away from the bin, sheets weren't washed for weeks, housework wasn't done unless I threw a huge tanty - and then when it was done there was a whole 'praise me' performance to contend with. Why do men do that?? You vaccuumed, woohoo, get over yourself. The couple of times they did try to help by doing my washing, I got all funny about them touching my underwear. It's true what they say, sometimes there is just no pleasing some people hahaha. Ironically when they left I missed them. True story. A couple of years before that I flat shared with 4 other girls. 5 women in a 4 bedroom flat. Really. Yeah, there was some big ass fireworks often seen from that place!! Man we had some domestics in that place... good times! I also gained a friend for life and wouldn't change a thing. I blame youth - I'm older and wiser now right? Right?


I can't be the only person out there who doesn't like to share? When I met my hubby and we worked out that he likes lollies and I like chocolate, well I knew he was a keeper. It's simple really, Heed this message and we will live together in harmony, I promise.

  

Excuse me while I wrestle the bloody dora handbag free. . .  again.

Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, I'd love to hear them