Thursday 27 October 2011

How do mummas function on so little sleep??

I am so tired, I don't know how I'm functioning right now. Over the last few years I've either been pregnant, breast feeding, night feeding or dealing with baby/toddler illness/issues that stop my babies sleeping at night. Both Monkey Man and Missy Moo have gotten the whole sleep through the night thing at about 11months. I wasn't blessed with one of those perfect babies that slept through the night from birth - oh how I hate hearing that from people!! Unfortunately by the time my two worked out how to sleep through, I was about to have another baby so this development didn't mean much more sleep for me. I'm lucky to have a husband who's done alot of night shifts feeding, patting, sshhhing, and pacing the halls, I know many women aren't as lucky. I've said it before but I don't know how single parents manage by themselves 24/7 without losing the plot. I am now dealing with two toddlers who seem to wake everyday by about 4am. Seriously. It was 5, which was hard enough to deal with but 4 is just downright evil. Ironically I have to wake the baby at 7. Words I never thought I'd hear myself say. And if anyone's listening, why has it taken til #3 to get a sleeper??

Anyway, so when Monkey Man woke at 5.40 this morning, I felt like celebrating especially as my hubby is away and its just me and the kids. Again, words I never thought I'd hear myself say but hey, it's alot better than 4am! On the very odd occasion they've slept til 7 or 8 we've questioned if they're ok? Its very strange to wake up of your own accord after so long, and not due to a screaming/crying baby, almost an out of body experience! haha It's times like this I wish I drank coffee, or red bull or anything with caffeine really. I really need it, and sleep. Sleep would be preferred.

I am used to functioning on very little sleep but I feel it is finally catching up with me. Yesterday morning I snuck in a nanna nap on the lounge while the kids played around me. Not really sure how considering I copped various toys to the head, and whether it was worth it seeing I woke to find Monkey Man on a chair at the sink 'washing up'. He and the majority of the kitchen, including his sister were covered in water. Why he did this, I don't know, he's never done it unsupervised before? But then again he's never emptied a pack of wipes all over the floor before, or ripped open a present not meant for him before. Why he had to do both of these as I'm trying to get him, his sisters and my un-make-up'd self out the door I'll never know. I'm pretty good at doing the bare minimum make up while driving but its much nicer to do it at home, in peace!! I think it's safe to say we've hit the terrible twos with gusto and I should probably be grateful that it really hasn't started til 27 months.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, I'd love to hear them